Release Day + Teaser: The Gift - Karli Perrin

Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Gift - Karli Perrin
It was the weekend before Christmas and the whole world was on countdown. 
Except for me.
Last Christmas, I met a boy.
Last Christmas, we made a pact.
Christmas would never be the same. 
Life would never be the same...



***Please note that this is a short story, not a full length novel. It is a standalone and is intended to be a quick, fun and flirty read.





Purchase Links:
Amazon US     |     Amazon UK     |     Smashwords

Teaser:

My Thoughts:
One-word: SWOON!

Can that be enough for my review? I mean, really? That word just embraced the novella itself!
Okay, okay, I’ll rant.

I love reading Christmas reads. Cold breeze. Snow. Snuggles. Hot Chocolate. Warm and fluffy. T’is the season to be jolly, fa-la-la-la-la la-la-la-la *sings*
This story made me want to have someone to cuddle. And I’d be damned if I wouldn’t be hugging my pillow tonight!

What’s the difference of Christmas, if every day you live life as it is?
Just living the ‘now’ or the ‘present’.

It was a short read. And I can’t get rid of the smile that’s splitting my face.
I was laughing with the sarcasm and the double entendre, from the start (well start with One Year Earlier) until it ended. I found that I had a dirty mind, excuse my dear mind, but I can’t help but notice every innuendoes (it was blatantly there, I swear). One should remember this novella was all about romance. I enjoyed their moments – again, from the moment they met to the very end.

I will somehow divulge what the story would be:
It was days before Christmas, Imogen was dragged by her friend (with her boyfriend’s buddies – insert typical jerks, no offense) to a bar. Wherein she was wearing a lingerie-type of outfit (it was a short dress plus her Ho ho ho knickers), let’s just say: a naughty image of Mrs. Claus. They went to this bar where there was this igloo that enclosed yummy Mr. Claus, which was Blake. And here the flirty banter begins. The romance that was smooth-sailing. With a twist that was a shocker and an ending that would leave a reader wanting more Imogen and Blake.

It was a short, fast and easy read; but the author made the characters have that chemistry from the moment she had put Imogen and Blake to meet for the first time. Aside from the obvious connection that Imogen was dressed-up as Mrs. (Naughty) Claus and Blake as Mr. Claus, they hit it off then and there. They knew how to humor each other, how they just ride one’s joke; it was fun as the story unfolded and I was craving for their next meeting.

Imogen, the heroine, recounted her past year for us. To know that the real ‘gift’ was. Imogen was your typical character but on the fun side. She was a little goody two-shoes but not really. She was a fun character to read, most especially when she was smitten over her smexy leading man. Which leads me to a character to be remembered: Blake Anderson. Because I swear if you read Karli’s April Showers (and April Fools, which will be released on the 12th of this month *free advertising, haha*) well, Blake was the right amount of Isaac, Lukas and Brody. Okay, he was the fictional boyfriend to have. Do I need to say more? He has the body, he has the humor and wit, and oh he was so romantic (not in the freaking overtly sweet way). Also, he’s a Law student, smexy plus intelligent? I’d totally grab this Santa and I wouldn’t mind being naughty for Christmas (no supposed pun intended). I could totally babble about him but I would not want to spoil so I leave it like this (I know, such a tease, right?).

Okay, so Mrs. Claus found her Mr. Claus *insert cracking up*. The Blake-Imogen coded conversations were just hilarious; this was where the innuendoes start.  They could translate an innocent conversation to something dirty but not in an insulting matter, it was really funny! Plus, I abso-freaking-lutely love the Ice Skating part: I LOVE ALL the parts when Blake and Imogen were together but that Ice Skating moment. Was. Totally. THE BEST! That was romantic and such a scene to be savored. But then, it was not all fun-slash-flirty-filled there was the twist just literally threw me off: I was gripping my seat saying: “No, no no” and “Don’t you effin’ dare!” That twist was really a shocker, to be honest. That was something I thought things would be messed-up. But then again, that was just what made it another thing for Imogen to consider her feeling towards Blake and it all ended well. Such a happy ending, right?

Don’t get me wrong but there were parts (only 2) where I was a bit, how should I put it, confused? (well, I was still in the thinking-slash-questioning phase). It was just that the Chapter 1 and the ending had that melancholy feel in it. The first chapter really stuck on the back of my head the entire time so I was expecting something dramatic. My friend, Jhed from When Books Defy Gravity, and I had a conversation via text regarding this. We felt saddened on how it ended – both in the good and bad way. We did know it was a novella so we expected the fast, romantic and pure happiness feel in it. We got that but we also know that in a novella, because of its limited word count, it also shortens the story. We just wanted more!

And then I realized it was just like the double entendre with Imogen and Blake’s coded conversations, the story was sort of like that. Depending on the reader, I think? It was just that, I opted for a future glimpse. If you read the Chapter 1 itself, it came out like Imogen was so forlorn, then it felt as if Imogen needed to recount how her year went like that. Since there was the “One Year Earlier”, we (together with Jhed) were expecting a present or future happening. So we were left with the question bugging us: “Did the pact stay intact?”

But then I just somehow noticed: it was like when you read Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell, there was this melancholy embracing the whole story yet it was also filled with love, sarcasm, happiness and nostalgia. The moment “The Gift” started, I asked myself: “Will this be angst?” but don’t worry, it wasn’t. It was just that, Imogen recounted the year where she felt her life transpired.

It was flirty, innuendo-filled but nothing explicit (as much flirting they did, they never went beyond).
They were having fun; they were having that falling in love stage. It wasn’t a cheesy-sappy puppy love story. It was more. A romantic, humorous read. A very Christmassy read for anyone who wants to read something fun, not too fluff but has the right amount of romance and humor. Short yet something that will fill you with the warmth of humor, sarcasm and sweetness. A really feel-good story. Well, if you want that sweet, slow-slash-fast romantic story (more on the insta-love side). And the good thing: it was nice to have a brilliant smile after reading it!


Rating: 4.5 out of 5.


P.S. I think you just made your trademark, Karli. You know how to mix: sarcasm, humor, innuendoes and romance sans forcing it out, it was all spontaneous.


Author Bio:
Karli Perrin is a 25 year old English Language & Linguistics graduate from Manchester. She has always been a big lover of books and is currently writing her first NA novel - April Showers. 

She is a big believer of fate and is a sucker for a happy ending. She honestly believes that there is a reason why you are reading this right now (apart from the fact that you are awesome!)
Her ultimate goal in life is to live in a house made entirely out of books with her best friend, who also happens to be her fiancé.
...Hogwarts is plan B.

Author Links:
Goodreads      |     Twitter     |     Blog     |     Facebook




-      Jassie

0 sprinkled sunshines:

Post a Comment

I wouldn't mind any sprinkled sunshines :)
Feel free to comment! :D