One to Hold – Tia Louise

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

"One mistake. One lie. One week."

One to Hold - Tia Louise
WARNING: Mature themes, strong language and sexual content. Recommended for adult readers (18+) only!

Derek Alexander is an ex-Marine, ex-cop, and the top investigator in his field. Melissa Jones is a small-town girl trying to escape her troubled past.

When the two intersect in a bar in Arizona, their sexual chemistry is off the charts. But what is revealed during their "one week stand" only complicates matters.

Because she'll do everything in her power to get away from the past, but he'll do everything he can to hold her.


Standalone, M/F, HEA.


Purchase Links:
Amazon     |     Barnes & Noble     |     Kobo     |     All Romance     |     Smashwords 


My thoughts:

It was a fast-read, straight to the point: hot, steamy and you would need a cold shower during and after reading it.

The cover was love at first sight: There was this softness in the cover that I loved. And the male and female that was in the cover had that delicate feel. And the font used – the color and the size, just compliments the whole cover. And what I loved was the title, after (or during) reading, the reader would understand why.

One week. That was all she needed.
Warning/Disclaimer: Adult theme.

Have you seen how many pages it was? It was that short but it filled the pages with the amount of story on finding love again. The friendship. The guys. The worst past. The true love. And the future.

First off, I love how it was written. It was free-flowing and continuous. It made me feel Mel more. Her inner thoughts that were bugging her. She was one of those heroines that would not frustrate you. She was not shallow. She was not weak. She was not whiny. She all had her reasons and I understood her. She was both an open and closed book. Ironic but true, as it was one person POV, I read her dilemmas, the insecurity, the needs and mostly, feel her bravery. She was both vulnerable but was in the process of becoming much stronger. She did the first-step before she went to her week-escape; and that was a thumbs-up for me. I did not care how long it took her, but she still did it. At the same time, I did mention she was a closed book as she kept her mystery. It had those moments that you kept on guessing what had happened to her. But like her, I had become distracted.

Distraction in a form of a man. An alpha male, a true portrayal of a man. It was either a Charlie Hunnan or a Chris Hemsworth looking guys. Though I was not fond of beard and long-haired males, Derek just proved me that you can change your likes. He put those I was not fond off to his advantages *insert mega wink*.

Where can I get those smexy hottie consultants? Honestly, I agree with Elaine back there. Was hot the new fad in banking? *checks transcript of records: Oh goodies, I graduated with Finance, Accounting and Managerial Accounting in my course – awesome, I think I can work in that field after all*

Okay, back to the story: I understood Mel’s resistance. The hesitant demeanor. Yet she was fueled with a charge not only by a powerful sexual tension but by the raw craving to feel again.
What I really loved was that: it was not entirely lust but there was something brewing that was much more. I would not say love at first sight but it was somehow there. Let me tell you, that first sight did lead them somewhere. I felt how Mel was desired, worshipped even.
 The sexual tension bubble was that suffocating and it was just ready to burst.
Burst to gazillion of pieces it did.
And, they broke whatever rules that should have been there for a week-stand.

Mel was just a female, and yes, she has her naughty thoughts (I was laughing at her some of her thoughts, really). What had I gotten from the Vampire Diaries: “You want a love that consumes you.” (I think that was what Damon said, if not, correct me if I am wrong). And consumed she was. It was all there: the fvcking and the love-making. It was both steamy, raunchy, gentle, incredibly hot but mostly, intense.

This was described as adult already, so no holds barred with the sex-spree. It was that intense and it was many to mention. But EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. It just surpassed the intensity of the previous night (or day). And yes, you might need to full on that thermostat. Get lots of ice. Have your shower on cold. You all would need it. The author, Tia Louise, just proved how to rock your world and how it, you know what I meant, would be earth-shattering!

Moving on a lighter part, I would like to note the pacing; Yes, it was depicted to be fast. Every part of it. Be reminded that it was only a week. But the author made it work, yes it was fast but at the same time, she made some parts slow. The focus on the two of characters, Derek and Melissa, worked. Like the-time-stopped-for-us or it’s-just-us-just-the-two-of-us. The characters developed in that week, well their emotions and feelings. It was desire but something more. Her craving still lingered, but it was not about escaping anymore. It was craving to be “hold”.

Wait, I haven’t said something about Derek, aside from his smexy appeal. So, I loved the story behind Derek (all those that would be spilled by Patrick, his friend, and those he would divulged himself). He was not the spotlight but the occasional turn to him made me want to know more about him. So the basics: He was an ex-Marine (so you know why he was so buff and that strong), had a background on Finance (Banking), and was sort-of a cop turned detective/investigator. So, nearly-perfect, eh? I know. I was thinking how good to-be-true he was. Or not? There was a part where I felt betrayed by Derek, but then it pays to know the whole picture. Yet he redeemed himself. The guy who never thought would be able to love again, fell in love, deeply and intensely with someone he just wanted to be with for a week. There were some strings that messed him up in front of Melissa but then fixed it up. And, there was this innate feel on Derek that can make you calm and your response to be triggered – he was hot and he knew it yet he also has that aura that can make you feel secured and comforted.

Lastly (and this would be long):
I would start on how I loved Elaine, Melissa’s best friend. She was so supportive of every of Mel’s decisions. She knew what Melissa had been through, and she stayed by Melissa’s side. She was bringing Melissa, light from the first day then she made Mel make her own decisions. She was not pushing her to do something, but she was helping her (Mel) get-through, making Mel realized what she (Mel) can do. And I was glad for Elaine as she ended up with someone who loves her.

Elaine was the best friend you wanted to have. She was always there but she never pushes. She was that firm and constant cane for Melissa. Then again, not everyone knows what goes on a person’s mind. What Melissa projected on the outside could be anything. Whenever I read Melissa’s thoughts there was these melancholy feel. I imagined how a breeze would pass through your face or hair and it somehow magically caress you and makes you feel liberated; that was what I thought while I was reading Mel’s dilemmas and thoughts. So when Mel’s happy, I feel happy for her. When her other emotions triggered her, I understood her, I felt an ache towards her. And when she opens us, you just wanted to grasp on it and let her be heard. Even how she uttered how Derek held her, it was so weird that I felt like I was feeling it too. I had written awhile ago how I loved how it was written. It was just fluid, spontaneous and real (which I loved so much in a book). I felt the comfort exerting from Derek, and I too, felt safe.

This was the part what I really admired throughout the story, about how it was written: the “power to women” part. Though it took her long enough, at least she fought. The author made Melissa fragile then courageous. She, Melissa, was blinded. Every detail on how a person in a relationship tried to make things work: putted the blame on herself, counseling, just about everything. She needed an eye-opener, and she had: before, during and after that one-week. After that strenuous battle, though she did not fight further, it was enough. She just wanted out of it, she did not care anymore and she just wanted to be free.

She took time to start again, to heal, to be alone and to find herself.
And lastly, after she felt whole as a person…
She took the opportunity to be whole with someone who can hold her.
And be happy. She deserved it.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5.


Author Bio:
Tia Louise is a former journalist, world-traveler, and collector of beautiful men (who inspire ALL of her stories... *wink*)---turned wife, mommy, and novelist.
It's possible she has a slight truffle addiction. And she will never look at a family restroom the same way again.

ONE TO HOLD is her debut adult romance.

Author Links:
Goodreads     |     Facebook     |     Twitter     |     Pinterest     |     Email


-     Jassie


Thank you for Ink Slinger PR for the eARC!
And for Tia Louise for creating this awesome story! :D

1 sprinkled sunshines:

TL said...

This is a gorgeous review--thank you so much, Jassie! <3 Tia

Post a Comment

I wouldn't mind any sprinkled sunshines :)
Feel free to comment! :D