April Showers - Karli Perrin

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

April Showers - Karli Perrin
What happens when your head and your heart pull you in completely opposite directions? 

April Adams is about to find out the hard way.

When April enrolls at Manchester University, it feels like a whole new life. New city, new house, new friends...new crush. 

Isaac Sharpe is the hottest guy on campus - with an even hotter reputation. After a chance meeting, April quickly finds herself wrapped up in all that he is. But what if all that he is isn't what it seems?

Caught up in a battle between what she wants and what she thinks she needs, April meets Lukas Roberts. Lukas is the security blanket that she craves so desperately and she finds solace in their friendship. But what happens when she finds more than she bargained for?

April has always been a big believer of fate, but will she learn that she's in control of her own destiny before it's too late?

Join April as she embarks on a life changing journey of love and loss, which will have you laughing and crying until the very end.
               
For a reader who likes a fast-paced and fast-read but with romance, friendship, humor (especially sarcasm), YOLO-feeling and hot guys: pick up this book, it will be worth the read! There were so many quotable quotes! I would like to share but I end up cracking up. It was hilarious and the sexual innuendoes (even those that were not intended to be sexual innuendos ended up like it was).

It was a book with a whirlwind of a story about love: a strong bond between best friends, between siblings and love triangle. And a dilemma between relationships: that was safe and secure against a relationship that was worth every risk.

Rating: 4.0 4.5 out of 5.
-          Since the cliffie kills so bad.
*I thought it was a standalone. But then Karli hinted me that there would be a sequel. And yeah the, “To be continued” was the dead giveaway.*

My thoughts:
First off, I thought it was like Easy by Tamara Webber, but it wasn’t. Or the typical taboo: teacher-student? I was not really like that. Isaac was not April’s professor just a tutor. Truth be told, I really do not like the teacher-student themed stories but this was not like that so no need to worry (in my case).

So lunging on the story, April and Isaac met in the first chapter when April literally crash on Isaac’s hard built – April was running late for her first lecture and had to run when she bumped Mr. Hot Guy. The scene was funny really (it still cracks me up) then they were already having their flirt-fest (when you read it you would know why). And what more was commendable than that amazing meet-up? In the first two chapters of the story, the author introduced the two guys already! You got no complaints from me, they were willingly accepted! As for the other guy, he shall be named Lukas (no kidding, his name was really Lukas), he met April during the lecture then they became friends afterwards.

The thing about this book was that it was jam-packed even with the limited pages. It showed what University felt like – the university air as Katie (April’s best friend) had described, the romance, the friendship, the fun, the risks and mostly, the independence. What I had loved other than the plot was that how the author showed her characters, it portrayed how imperfect a person was. What their flaws were, what their dilemma was, yet it showed what kept them going. Towards the ending, the story felt short – I meant it in the figurative and literal sense, because it had much more to unleash (and that’s why there will be a sequel coming up).
I have problems with stories that are too abrupt for my liking, but then this one was a combination of fast and slow pace. It was fast on the beginning of the story, falling in love immediately and then it slowed down when April started asking herself – deep thoughts about what must she do or what she expects herself to do.
Also another thing you would notice as you read this was that: sarcasm was the sweetest form of communication. There were times, I felt like it had too much sarcasm that it become a little annoying but then I just found it humorous and insulting (in the best way possible).

I will introduce some of the important characters:
Of course the heroine, April Adams: pretty, sarcastic, fun to be with and confusing. April’s mind was bloody confusing (at first until she decided to go with the flow). There were times I found April too talkative on her mind, it seemed like she questioned herself and her decision every step of her way. It was good that Katie was there that kept her intact to not dwell on her problems every time. She had too much dilemma about Isaac, Lukas; that sometimes I want to either lunge out at her or disconnect from her… Which obviously I did not do. If I was wearing a stiletto, I would have thrown it to April. Yep, one flying stiletto coming up. I understood her but it took her such a long time! And let me tell you, she was torturing her own self in the process. Do not get me wrong because I had fun with her mind-boggling problems (I will talk about this in a while).

Favorite character please! Oh gods, how I love Katie, her uncalled-for (but in a good way) advices were unexpected and pervert mind was so fan-freaking-tastic!

 “You know that I’m a crazy bitch, I do what I want when I feel like it,
All I wanna do is lose control,
But you don’t really give a shit, You go with it, go with it, go with it,
Cause you’re fucking crazy rock’n’roll.”
-          Smile by Avril Lavigne

That part of Smile was just the perfect depiction of Katie! She was such a great and honest friend, the friend you want to have, or have but still want her stay forever. I mean if I had a leash and she’s a true person, I would tie her by my side and have the fondest memories ever! *that was just so wrong but also right* I absolutely loved her to bits! She was so funny, so perverted (in a hilarious way), conniving but mostly her advices was so straight on! She has the best lines ever! *in all fairness, I am chuckling whenever I remember her lines (the best way to crack up, I swear)*

I know you are waiting for the guys but wait a minute:
One thing I had learned about guys was that they take things literally. When you say you want some space, they will give it to you; even if they did not quite understand why but they would respect your decisions. Well, the dear guys here in the story were like that. *clap clap*

“It took one look and now I’m not the same,
Yeah you said hey, and since that day,
You stole my heart and you’re the one to blame.”
-          Smile by Avril Lavigne

Fitting, isn’t it? Because it was real, hello instalove! It was love at first sight! The hotness was overflowing and I imagined his husky-low voice *swoons*. He was like perfect. Okay, almost perfect. The physical characteristics were given but his sweet, romantic, caring, affectionate side? Woah, ideal man, dear darlings. Oh yeah he was also rich and well, as any almost perfect guy he was also sarcastically playful (I would have written the term cocky but just mentioning Katie awhile ago messed up my brain and trigged my not-innocent side of my mind). But then there was a time when he frustrated me. I swear, I understood the caveman persona, I wouldn’t deny the little dominant alpha male oozing off him wasn’t hot, it was; but dang, it was downright megalomaniac that sometimes led me pissed (not the brit term drunk, okay?) off. He was using his “power” as a staff. But he was fighting for her. So yeah, it was like the “I want to kick him in the nuts but I want to kiss him at the same time” type of feeling.
Oh my gosh, mega-swoon time! When Isaac said the “sentence” on the third chapter (before he left the mixer) can I freely hyperventilate?! My heart was leaping in joy! I was as dumb-struck as April (at first) but then I can’t stop squealing – it was too early (for me) that he dropped that bomb but it was so sweet! I mean who in the world would say those words on the first day you met? *well, Isaac obviously – insert megaton of what fangirls do: squealing, flailing and the whole she-bang*
Plus piano player and singer? Drool-and-mouth-hanging-open-worthy!
And his past, my goodness, I loved him more! There was another reason behind the tree and lanterns (okay April messed me up with another interpretation of this).
Of course, what can I say? Smart move on him to do what he did. I would have suggested it too. I mean if he was fighting all the way, drop what begs to be dropped. And he did and I could not be more pleased!
***Since Karli (the author) and Zoe (my dear babycakes) already know this: the part that was dedicated to my babycakes was such a total ZOE-licious moment! I imagined her on April’s position. I was laughing when that thought occurred, honestly. I shall quote myself: “’OMG! Zoe just didn’t!” Well, Isaac was all muscles, abs and of course the cherry on top for Zoe… TATTOO. Definite yum!
Isaac was born alpha-male romantic!

Then lastly, this guy who caused me confusion:
“So when you feel like trying again,
Reach out take my hand,
See how great it would be to fall in love with someone you can trust,
Who would never give up, cause you’re all that he needs,
Baby, take a chance on me.”
-          Take A Chance On Me by JLS

He was the boy next door type of guy, and yes he was also a hottie! He was friendly, caring, loving, well all of the good things! The above lyrics can be meant for Isaac but I was imagining Lukas when he was desperately seeking for April’s affection. I know Isaac-April’s romance was insta-love. I hope there were more tidbits of them to get that connection brewing. I had felt guilty for Lukas, I mean I had learned more about him and there were too many risk on his part so when April ended up with Isaac, I as well felt kicked square on my stomach. Lukas was safety, security. And it was just unfair on his behalf. That was when I thought I knew about his story… then I hated him. I was wishing before that he wouldn’t be heartbroken and find a girl for him. Then, I wanted to take back those sweet words and guilt-trip I had for him because he was sick (derogatory use of the term), I could not fathom that he could do such thing but then I understood, well hell, I hated myself for judging him so flippantly. Why was I consumed by my hatred for him? He had a reason. And when April compared it to what Katie did when she went for a visit, I completely understood Lukas more. But then I realized I did not know what to think of Lukas (I understood but it does not mean I do not doubt him). Am I forced to like him? Do not get me wrong, I liked Lukas before then hated him then partly-liked him again then I was confused. The ending wrecked my heart and mind for him, but dang, am I still confused with what had happened. *this is the moment where I need to have the sequel because I do not know if I should have doubts about Lukas or something; and because I liked his character and I still think he was genuine – he had a choice to tell April but he did not, but then April did that too; that was wrong to compare but then they had their faults (and I know they’ll be friends again, it’s just a matter of “When?”)*

So those were the characters, unless you want me to talk about Hollie and Abbie? Good thing Hollie became good but I still have my eye on her. As for Abbie, I don’t want to think ill about her but… But… I have doubts on her either.

On another note, when I surpassed the 100th page mark that was when I think it sucked me into the story. It progressed in my liking, to my wants (and needs). But April’s dilemma was also entertaining to read – what a woman really does when she was confounded with choices: The one she wants to take and the one she was fighting to take.

“And every time I see you in my dreams,
I see your face, it’s haunting me,
I guess I need you baby.”
-          Every time by Britney Spears

That lyric just stated what April felt but was struggling with. The moment when the confrontation was made, when April lied: it was when she got vulnerable and everything came crashing down. She lied to him but more than anything, she lied to herself. She was picking logic over her emotions. But I admired her, she was brave. Well there was a thin-line between stupidity and bravery. And I would like to think she was brave instead. I mean, it took her helluva time to analyze and conclude to come up with her decision.

I had written awhile ago that this story was a combination of fast and slow pacing. The good thing when the slow pace occurred was that it focuses on the details. The romance was too abrupt for my liking but who am I to judge? I fully-accepted it as the story goes. This was one of those stories where it was love at first sight. And maybe that abrupt falling in love was one of the reasons why April didn’t took the risk too much at first; she had dilemmas and honestly, he met Isaac one day and then it was getting good then the next day she found out that Isaac was her tutor? Even though her emotions were draining her, she was being practical: she was new in the university, barely has friends then fallen too quickly with a beautiful stranger? She worked hard to be in that school, it was normal that she would be thinking of those things. And let her blame her hormones for being so active when Isaac’s around! But she soon realized that she couldn’t let go of Isaac. She was having an intense internal battle where her emotions were running wild. This was where her so-called bravery, as I would like to pinpoint: she was fighting to get over him but she couldn’t. it was too much and she would soon realize that her toughest competition was herself and that the more she fought herself, the more she would fall hard… it was just in a matter of time whether she would be caught off guard: to fail or to succeed.
And she did. Both: failed and succeeded.

“I may have made it rain, please forgive me,
My weakness caused you pain,
And this song is my sorry.”
-          Every time by Britney Spears

I shall quote ‘him’: “What’s with the April showers?” She made her decision and I was thoroughly pleased. After hell broke loose— from the moment Lukas confessed what the real deal was, from the heartache of Isaac: about Sienna and his love for her, and that moment when she really opened her eyes. He saw her at her worst and stayed. That one email that made her heart almost palpitate with such emotions over seven other emails? That just proved who she would have picked from the first time. She needed that wakeup call and she chose well. No more internal battles. No more choices. Only risks but definitely worth it.

“Trust in me when I say, that I’m here right now ‘til always,
Girl, in this world there’s nothing,
I just wanna glimpse of your lovin’,
Tonight.”
-          Nothing Compares To You by Aziatix

The lyrics above were just like a bull’s eye on their (you know who I am talking about) very first sexual encounter. And I must say, it was spontaneous, not forced; and both were fully aware where it would lead. It was slow and gentle with fast and greedy, but it did not disappoint: it was steamy and at the same time romantic – desired, appreciated but mostly overpowered with the feeling of love (it was more than, excuse my chosen term: fucking – which meant raunchy, hard, steamy but fast and for lustful pleasure only).  *you should totally listen to that song – even that song was really meant for the fans of Aziatix - HAHAHA -*

“I remember making out and then oh oh,
I woke up with a new tattoo,
Your name is on me and my name was on you,
I would do it all over again.
--
Yeah, and that’s why I smile,
It’s been a while, since everyday and everything has felt this right,
And now you’re turning it all around and suddenly you’re all I need,
The reason why I smile.”
-          Smile by Avril Lavigne

She made her choice. It took her how many troubles? Weeks? Months? But whatever had happened, she chose what she deserved right from the start. She got it, and there were no regrets. He would be the only one who made and will make her happy. There are no must do (for others not to judge) and what she must expect herself to do (to fight her own feelings). All the complex she had – from the heartache to the moving on (or the supposedly moving on) to the what she had done. All of those it was mad (Brit concept, please). And like what Katie said: “Crazy is good.”

Oh before ending this:
I want to know who did what happened in the ending, was it on purpose? Should I blame that person or not? On a positive note, the romance will be official soon; I will keep my fingers-crossed. Who cares what problems may arise? It took April long enough to realize everything and it was all and will be worth every risk. She was not the only one fighting anymore.
I am looking forward to the sequel! I hope there will be more in the character development. There was the lack of knowing April Adams. I had some background on Isaac and Lukas but what I am more curious was April herself. (And also give the boys their deserving HEAs plus Katie’s madness!)

P.S.: On another note, it mentioned Domestic Violence during the charity evening. It goes to show that it had these tiniest of details that made the story real: it showed romance, yes; friendship, yes; but it wasn’t just a story of love triangle and dilemma, it had this reality where the characters have a deeper persona within them. The use of that concept was not forced, which I was glad, yet it had created an impact on our dear Isaac’s life (the need to comment on this matter was so high – equality and justice, darlings).

To Karli:
Honey, you have nothing against me now. MUAHA *that was supposed to be an evil laugh*
Go on, write the sequel and make HIM have his own HEA. Or you can give him to me since Babycakes already claimed Isaac *remembered when Isaac “claimed” April – winks-*. Just do not make HIM have a revenge thingy that would be such a turn off. Oh goodness, what should the sequel have? Can’t I have some inside scoop (the scoop was not intended to be in a twisted definition, but if you want, I’ll get it either way *coughs coughs*)?  
I will not be your hostage anymore! =))

Purchase Links:
Amazon US      ||     Amazon UK

Here are some link to April Showers' Teasers:

Author Bio:
Karli Perrin is a 25 year old English Language & Linguistics graduate from Manchester. She has always been a big lover of books and is currently writing her first NA novel - April Showers. 

She is a big believer of fate and is a sucker for a happy ending. She honestly believes that there is a reason why you are reading this right now (apart from the fact that you are awesome!)

Her ultimate goal in life is to live in a house made entirely out of books with her best friend, who also happens to be her fiancé.
...Hogwarts is plan B.

Author Links:
Goodreads      |     Twitter     |     Blog




-      Jassie


The songs quoted where from (click the title to link you up for the MVs):
Avril Lavigne's Smile
Britney Spears' Every time

0 sprinkled sunshines:

Post a Comment

I wouldn't mind any sprinkled sunshines :)
Feel free to comment! :D