Changed (The Hunters, #1) - Rose J. Bell

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Myth meets fiction: a spinoff between archangels, nephilims, demons, humans, and hunters.

Changed – Rose J. Bell



In a world where hunters and angels reign, war is a daily occurrence and one girl is destined to save them all.



After the brutal murder of her father, Rosa Petrova has dedicated her life to the eradication of angels and the revenge of her father's death. With the gift of fight, she becomes one of the fastest, deadliest, and greatest hunters in the world.

As Rosa hunts those who caused her father's death, two Nephilim, the children and warriors of the archangels, appear in Boston. Rosa has to find out why a Nephilim named Jason and his friend risk their lives in a city full of their enemies where they could be killed. 

Not knowing if she should follow her heart or the hunter’s code she has known all her life, she is forced to make a dangerous decision that could change her life forever. Through all the chaos around her, she finds herself falling in love with the one person she is forbidden to love. And this love could kill her.



The author gave me an eARC in exchange of an honest review.
P.S. The grammatical errors were tolerated and the Nephilims are bad guys here (I did mention, a spinoff of myth from above, right?).


Rantings:

A war had led the Hunters to hate the Nephilim, which leads to death on each clan.
She has the gift to fight, and she’s to become a Hunter.
He has a mission to find his twin sister, and he’s a Nephilim.
She’s a Hunter, he’s a Nephilim. They are enemies, and they must kill each other.

But what if?
The Huntress, this Ice Princess melts and falls for an angel-kind?
What if it leads to what happened to him before? Will he take the risk?

Your paranormal story meets another twist.


This is the first book that I had read where there are hunters and other magical creatures—shadow creatures known to humans and are being given the chance to be in the spotlight. And to be honest, I feel refreshed. For me this is a new idea. And the plot had so much potential.

I personally am a lover of abrupt-straight-to-the-point story. Putting up Rosa in the adventure zone immediately made me elated! It wasn't really that fast-paced, but for me it was set in a right pace. Not too slow, not that fast; no boring or idle moments which is good because it triggers a reader to read more and to not pause or stop reading. It was like that when I was reading it, the happenings were so continuous that as a reader, I wanted to know more and more about the stories. The questions keep popping and some being answered; others, left unanswered, then the cycle goes again, another question that will make a reader wonder. I am torn if I should like or dislike the concept wherein this story seems like a mash-up of different mythology-and/or-legends, since the author made the angels as villians; but maybe this is the way where the author mixes her own flavor and twists in the story. Those spinoffs were made in a fitting way that it strikes as a refreshing read.

Regarding, Rosa, she is such a powerful, admirable, a typical kickass heroine. And she's strong and has this focused-drive wherein she avenges for a loved one. To be honest I wanted her adrenaline-rush, from the first parts when she achieves victory during her test. I mean I know how wrong revenge and fights and deaths are, but it's like a fuel or boost for something. She has this willpower, an uncontrollable yet powerful gift to fight. She's both blood and death hungry, which was triggered by revenge. She’s an ideal yet a heroine who needs to get more mature and must know who she should trust and obey. But mostly, she should find who she is first. (I just didn't like how disrespectful Rosa was towards her teachers.)

So another thing that completely bugged me out was that: the story of the archangels, why are they mean? I pity Jason and the others who are tasked to kill on behalf of the power-greedy archangels. Though, I do like the where the focus zooms in the adventure between the Hunters and Archangels/Nephilims’ world. Oh and the part where Rosa went to the talisman with the help of a witch. I love how vast the characters are, how normal and how mythological they are.

Overall, I had enjoyed that it is portrayed in the YA genre, I mean it is set, in realistic world, high school and Boston. I liked that even if there are actions like fighting and it is adventure-type; the author made the paranormal world into something normal. Paranormal meets action-and-adventure with drama and humor. It has romance which was not sickeningly sweet one, I really like the bad boy meets kickass girl and they fall for each other. Yeah, the ‘the more you hate, the more you love’ overused term. The author really wanted the readers to have a clear imagination of what place, character, personality, and just about everything were: a vivid detail with every paragraph. I really had fun having the adventure with Rosa and Jason!

            Lastly, though the grammatical errors were the reason I want to put the book off, it was still a page-turner. The book had too much potential, and I really wanted to know more. Even if Book 1 felt a bittersweet read for me, the fact that there is another book gives me hopes up with Rosa and Jason; and more fights to come! And my constant curiosity: WHAT HAPPENED IN THE WAR?


Rating: I give it a 3.5 out of 5. 


-     Jassie

0 sprinkled sunshines:

Post a Comment

I wouldn't mind any sprinkled sunshines :)
Feel free to comment! :D