The Space Between – Victoria Smith

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

I know we're a WE.
No matter what happens,
There will always be an US.


The Space Between – Victoria Smith

When Drake started the night at his father’s campaign fundraiser, he never imagined he’d end it being conned into buying drugs on the West Side. Losing high-stakes poker has its consequences, but he’d repeatedly face them just to hear Lacey Douglas sing. Drake sees Lacey light up the stage, and he has to have her. But his intentions for being on her side of town turn out to be the reason he can’t. 

Chicago native Lacey has dreams of the opera, but life has its obstacles. Lacey has come to know her hardships as part of living in the real world and accepts them fully. When Lacey meets the intense and invigorating Drake, a fire is lit inside her, unleashing those dreams again.

Two paths that should have never crossed prove to create the exact pairing the other needs. But when their worlds take time to catch up, everything they have is tested. Finding the space between the two sides that challenge them will be hard, but it’s the only place that will keep them together.

The Space Between is a new adult contemporary romance.


***I received an eARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.


Rantings:

The cover:
I keep on seeing Sarah from Okay Creations as the main person, who does awesome covers, and she never fails to amaze me how correct or semi-correct she hits the perfect cover for a book!
Though I was imagining some piercings (the lady on the cover is to girly-girly for me).
P.S. Lacey is kick-ass (a lil FYI).


My thoughts:
The Space Between is a novel that really revolved and focused on romance. It dwelt with the typical yet some refreshing stories about a romantic relationship. The characters themselves are a refresher; Victoria Smith had showcased an underrated biracial protagonist (Lacey) and a lead guy who is Asian (Drake) and this led to an interracial relationship. And boy does it deals with the teenager’s “I can do anything” and real-life crises.

The story is both fast-and-slow paced: there were times that there is a lot of going on in one scene then it focuses its shift to the couple. But the definite plus, it’s in dual POV. So we can see and hear what’s going into the minds of Lacey and Drake!

The stereotypical, rich boy meets less fortunate girl; a semi-rebellious boy who is somehow disconnected to his faux perfect family and a girl who have great things to carry on. Then when they met, an insta-sexual tension is buzzing.


Here’s a little background story:
Lacey came from the other (poor) side of town but she’s like the usual goody-two-shoes-and-bread-winner that have a lot of issues to deal with, her father left them and her mother has an illness. Meanwhile, Drake is an Asian adopted child of the Senator of Illinois (who protects his image and family) but then he have this ‘spoiled-rich-whatever-I-don’t-care’ aura of him and while in a fundraiser he changed position to a server and does whatever is entertaining (while having this bet with her younger sister). After Drake had his part of the fun (sorry, spoiling no more), he was accompanied by Derrick to Margot (a dealer).
So here’s the interesting part:
Lacey thought Drake was a druggie and set-up Drake and called some cops, but of course dear Drake is rich and his father an almighty one so he got bailed.
The catch? Drake’s mom can’t let what happened pass so his mom hired a personal assistant.
The personal assistant? *let’s pretend you think about it, haha* Yes, it’s Lacey.


Lacey - Drake:
I love how Drake calls Lacey, Lace. It so sweet and there’s a loving meaning to Lacey (about her past) and it’s really endearing. Then how Drake uses his last name than his given name, don’t get me wrong, will you use Truman or Drake? Let’s be honest, I’d prefer Drake. And oh yeah, Lacey is an opera singer, that is what I call a breath of fresh air. Who normally puts an opera singer as a lead? I can imagine the goose bumps starting when I read that Lacey sings opera, then when she sang a French opera song, my imagination went overdrive and I wished there were more parts of that and see how Drake is stupendously proud and awe-struck (okay, so again that’s one overreacting mad imagination of mine).

Lacey and Drake really had a fire set-up. And when I say sexual tension, it really has several in this novel that it just explodes with it! So this might give you a make or break point, because it was both steamy and raunchy. But the thing is, there is a story not only oozing with too much tension, there is more of them to be known than just being a fiery couple…


Things getting interesting:
The book had a lot of potential, and I really want to read more of particular scenes (as much as I do not want to spoil, I’ll just note some key points):
Will Drake ever find out his heritage or real parents?
What happened in that ‘one month’? Especially for Lacey, it was pretty hard.
How did they cope up?
Paris?


Truth be told, I felt disconnected with the book with the first part; it was a so-so for me. I felt bad that I was disengaged while reading the book, I keep on thinking that I just don’t feel a connection that would make me take a full interest on it: some sentences are like repeating then and there; it was sort of typical and I wanted a full blast to keep me edging on my seat.

Then I reached those pages near 200…

The full on interest I was waiting for? Victoria just dropped the bomb:
I was definitely hooked, the secrets are being loosed.

This novel showed me the ‘love conquers all’ quest.
The relationship being tougher and the couple are stronger.

The very start they have the obstacles already: they have the magnificent social strata in between them, people who can’t accept what’s happening and all other sucker-ish stuffs but that they made it through.
Those are difficult problems and they miscalculated things, they misjudge immediately, they assume easily: Lacey with Drake in the first part and vice versa in the latter part. They just needed more communication and ‘time.’ But aside from those, I saw one thing I really love about them…

And that best thing about them, other than that there really is sparks between them and that they have this connection, is that they balance each other. Lacey is the rational one most of the time and Drake acts on impulse, it seems like a clashing game but truth be told, they fuse in a good way, leading to a compromising solution.

I had fun towards the end, I may not like how it had started or even in the middle but the read towards the end was really a good one.
Anything more to say? Nothing.
Just like the what the book said:
‘Sweet Nothing.’


P.S.

Sub-characters I feel like there’s a story more to be unraveled:
Derrick & Margot! :”> I mean, really, there’s more story about them (individually, they are not an item – boohoo -)

I’m fishing for stories about:
Ashley – the somehow b*tchy girl turned kind.
I really liked the part wherein Drake looks at her and she’s pretty sans being a whore-looking (Ashley’s words). She’s not all that mean. And mostly, not all less is attractive, we need a little more. She matured, she told Drake (that’s a very good thing).
Cooper – the one drooling over Lacey, he’s a very kind one.
            If you read Fallen Too Far or Never Too Far by Abbi Glines, think about Woods Kerrington, nuf said.
Adele – the younger sister, I know she already have Pete but she’s so adorable and I want to read more of her.


I am really torn to how to give this story a rating but I decided it deserved:
3.5 - 4 out of 5.




This is the first time I'll post some pictures with quotes;
When I saw this I remembered Lacey and Drake:



-     Jassie

0 sprinkled sunshines:

Post a Comment

I wouldn't mind any sprinkled sunshines :)
Feel free to comment! :D