Game. Set. Match. – Jennifer Iacopelli

Tuesday, April 23, 2013


Tennis-lover?
This book is something you should look out for!

First things first:
What if you're not a tennis fan? Would you still like this book?
That questions bug me, and I answered it though, you may or may not agree with me…

I have a fair share of watching some tennis matches, like Federer/Nadal/Djokovic, or Maria Sharapova and the likes. I know some but I would not really say that I know the basics.
But I still opt for yes; it's worth a shot to read.

Game. Set. Match. – Jennifer Iacopelli

Nestled along the North Carolina coast, the Outer Banks Tennis Academy is the world's most elite training facility. In this pressure-cooker environment, futures are forged in blood and sweat, and dreams are shattered in an instant.

Penny Harrison, a rising female star, is determined to win the French Open and beat her archrival, Zina Lutrova. But when her coach imports British bad boy Alex Russell as her new training partner, will Penny be able to keep her laser-like focus?

Tennis is all Jasmine Randazzo has ever known. The daughter of two Grand Slam champions, she's hell-bent on extending her family’s legacy and writing her own happily-ever-after...until her chosen Prince Charming gives her the just-friends speech right before the biggest junior tournament of the year, the Outer Banks Classic.

With a powerful serve and killer forehand, newcomer Indiana Gaffney is turning heads. She’s thrilled by all of the attention, especially from Jack Harrison, Penny’s agent and hot older brother, except he keeps backing off every time things start heating up.

With so much at stake, dreams—and hearts—are bound to break. Welcome to OBX: Where LOVE is a four-letter word, on and off the court.



I wonder who's the cover! I mean there are three main characters, so we'll see!
Have you read the summary? I think that just added some mystery and your curious mind had been triggered?
Mine did.

I am an #OBXer so I had a chance to read the Prologue beforehand *YAY*

So, How can I judge Game. Set. Match. by just basing it on the Prologue?
I would say it’s a (will be) a refreshing read for me, since I don’t know much about tennis.
Jennifer Iacopelli made me become interested to know both about (1) tennis and (2) her characters.
The prologue gave me an idea already of what will happen and it is a good introduction to the three main characters in the story. Even though the prologue has one event (main even occurring), the author had made it into three different scenarios and gave a bird’s eye view of who the readers will meet in the book.
A heads-up, so to speak.

What caught my interest the most is the author’s attention to detail, vivid descriptions, as I had written about, one event = three scenes, and in those scenes it seemed  like I was literally watching the scenes take place right before my eyes,
(1)    I had imagine Indy watching the match during her Physics class, I can see how she watches the game from her phone and how it feels like in her position, watching the game via phone, the camera zooming in-and-out.
(2)    How the crowd cheers and how intense the game is, especially when the scene shifted to Penny.
(3)    Lastly, I can feel the disappointment washing over Jasmine, and how it seems like she’s both disappointed and pitying herself.

And to be honest, that’s just the Prologue… and I am… and very much intrigued, especially how the story will unfold, would it focus on the game itself, the characters’ progress or both? For that I shall remain calm and excited, I mean I have my own expectations and I am very much looking forward about this book!

Let's see, the prologue has already have me edging to google tennis terms and tennis games, I'll have a heads-up if this continues, who knows, I might be a tennis fan myself during or after this? I watch tennis matches and I can always ask my Dad or my older sis since both are sports fans, that's a definite plus right?

Go #OBXers!

P.S. The icon of Penny is cooler. Black background, seems more powerful!

Let's say I'm torn with Indy and Jasmine.
I really am, I like both in different ways, but sometimes when you see and read your name, it becomes very much bias. That's what happened to me.
Since, I'm still undecided,
I am Team Jasmine (P.S. I’ll know you more Indy, ‘til we meet again!)

Jasmine, to be honest, writing your own name feels weird and flattering at the same time…
Okay, about her, aside from natural curiosity, there is something intriguing about this character.
And let’s say: Pressure.
Yes, that’s one thing that registered in my mind when she was somehow introduced.
What if your parents are GRAND SLAM, OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS?
-          That’s what-and-who Jasmine’s parents are. I told you pressure.
Though her personality seems a lil, excuse the word, bitchy, I don’t know but there’s the aura of superiority and inferiority in one. Superiority because she knows who she is, who her parents are, and she knows in herself she’s the best (though the author did not intend she’s this bragger, I just implied it); inferior, at the same time, it sucked since her parents are widely-known and she’s expected to be walking along the path of her parents, right? Then she lost the first round (one of the reasons why it seemed she was disappointed in herself and wasn’t even in the Madrid Open). Lastly, there something more about her, and I think she’ll be the character in the story who will face most of the difficulties.

Well, that’s my entire standpoint (regarding the Prologue, ONLY).
Before I part ways and have my own countdown, I’ll say this:
This is one thing I like about books, it makes you be inclined to learn even if it usually is out of your comfort zone; it piques your interest and makes you either understand or like some things that you weren’t fond of the first time.

We’ll see what happens when I read the book itself.
*crossing fingers that some of my assumptions are correct*

Be an #OBXer and have a chance to win from Jennifer Iacopelli's's giveaway!
With some insider info too!


-     Jassie

0 sprinkled sunshines:

Post a Comment

I wouldn't mind any sprinkled sunshines :)
Feel free to comment! :D